Saturday, January 31, 2009

Fell in love in Key West....

...with sea kayaking!

Spent an amazing week down in the Keys at a Seminar then stayed on two more days, swam with dolphins, roamed around and landed in Pennekamp State Park (a coral reef park) and decided to head out on a solo kayak adventure in the afternoon. I'd never kayaked before but the fella at the desk assured me I'd be able to do it no problem. The second I sat in that vessel and started paddling, I felt like this was something I'd been born to do. It was so easy and fun and the perfect mix of Zenlike peacefulness and a little bit of danger (yes, alligators do live in mangroves and I was paddling the entire time through water trails in the mangrove...what are they...groves?). It was SO MUCH FUN! Oh and I ran in to a fisherman who told me to look down as I passed him and see the 2 foot stingray resting on the bottom of the channel.




You can see the solitude I was blessed with--hardly saw a soul the entire 90 min. I was out there


"the hand"
That Mangrove was trying to reach out and grab me!


Yes those are my girlie flip flops

Yummy post boating snack. What a gorgeous day.

2 comments:

Mama Nastase said...

Katie, I love that you find the beauty where-ever you go! I love kayaking, too!!

Michelle said...

Hey Katie, thanks for stopping by my place! Glad you enjoyed and glad I could discover yours! I have been wanting to go to Key West for so long. I'm sure I'd fall in love as well. It seems so tropical and I'm so done with the rain here in Oregon. Lol!